Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Studio + Safety


 Cezanne didn't let people visit his studio. Francis Bacon was infamous for the state of his studio that looked like a tornado had visited. My studio (above) leans more towards Cezanne's but besides making it easier to find things it is also safer. Whether  you are fortunate to have a dedicated studio or a room, basement, etc. safety should be considered. Of course one should have ventilation but also a fire extinguisher and high on my list is a metal garbage can with a tight lid. These have come down in price so that should not be an excuse. An artist friend of mine lost his studio to a fire-if he had that type of garbage can it might not have happened. Also you can see in the background my heat gun has a holder so the hot tip stays safe and my heated palette is on a metal table. When working with oils or acrylics I wear gloves and no food in the studio!

 Somehow, to my knowledge, Bacon avoided a fire even though he had oily newspapers knee high! Please stay safe.

No comments: